Calls for Cricket Australia to drop alcohol promotion

Calls for Cricket Australia to drop alcohol promotionCalls for Cricket Australia to drop alcohol promotion
Tasmanian father of two, Aaron Schultz says the promotion of alcohol during Cricket broadcasts sends the wrong messages to children.

My name is Aaron Schultz and I am a 41 year old father of two from Tasmania. I grew up in a small country town in Western Victoria where life was pretty simple and everyone knew each other.

Like most teenage boys at the time I discovered alcohol at the age of 14. Drinking was not discouraged by my parents.

Throughout my late teens and into my thirties drinking became a regular habit for me. I had issues with alcohol which I found very difficult to beat, and ultimately took one hell of an effort to overcome.

One of the main reasons I had trouble changing my habits was I found that everywhere I went, alcohol was advertised, especially through sport (which I love), and the culture of playing sport and binge drinking was alive and well.

Sadly nothing has changed over the last 20-odd years, particularly in male dominated disciplines. I believe that change needs to occur to stop the promotion of alcohol through sport as it sends the wrong message to our kids and our communities.

Like their father, my children now love playing and watching cricket, however they are being heavily exposed to products including Victoria Bitter, Wild Turkey and KFC which I think is extremely unethical and irresponsible of the key sporting body, Cricket Australia.

I believe every individual has a right to learn, develop and reach their full potential and by addressing these issues and putting some actions in place we are working towards a healthier, more educated society.

It is my view that my children should be able to watch a professional game of sport without being exposed to the advertising of products which contribute to so many health, economic and social issues in our society.

Sport should be a vehicle to promote healthy lifestyles. I feel that Cricket Australia is doing a tremendous job in the promotion of the game through its 20/20 concept which is targeted towards women and children.

However, they continue to use alcohol and fast food companies as their major sponsors. I am committed to seeing change in this area and my goal is to put a stop to this type of advertising before the 2015 Cricket World Cup which will be held in Australia.

The more people that come on board with me to make this happen, the greater our voice, and our message will be heard loud and clear.

Please join me in my campaign by signing the online petition or liking our Facebook page.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to “Calls for Cricket Australia to drop alcohol promotion” Subscribe

1. leather cellphones shoulder smartphones November 12, 2014 at 2:24 pm #

hey there and thank you for your info – I have definitely picked up
    anything new from right here. I did however expertise some technical issues using this website, since I experienced to reload the
    web site lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly.
    I had been wondering if your hosting is OK?
    Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times
    will very frequently affect your placement in google and can damage your quality score if ads and
    marketing with Adwords. Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my email and could look out for much more of your respective exciting
    content. Ensure that you update this again soon.

2. e cigs australia August 7, 2013 at 5:01 am #

Thank you, this is very informative … what is your opinion on the australian government’s current stance against the use of nicotine in electronic cigarettes?

3. Aaron Schultz January 22, 2013 at 5:32 pm #

All great comments guys. Yes betting is another issue all together and it too is out of control. I am focussing on targeting putting a stop to what’s going into people’s mouth’s primarily and sport is not a place for heavy marketing of unhealthy products.
    Thanks
    Aaron

4. Dr Steph January 22, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

Please add betting advertising to this campaign as well. Children are also being exposed to sports betting adverts on TV during G-rated restricted hours during sports such as tennis, rugby union, rugby league and cricket etc. Even the commentators discuss the odds of a bet and make it sound exciting. What hope have our kids got with saturation advert brainwashing about booze and gambling during many sports now?? It disgusts me!

5. Aaron Schultz January 22, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

Thanks very much for your comments.

I am certain there are many organisations that would love the opportunity to partner with Cricket Australia.
    Cricket is a great vehicle for promotion however a partnership between Cricket Australia and alcohol and fast food companies I believe is controversial. We are not going to achieve results in health and well being while sport and these properties are engaged.

Thanks very much for your support.

Aaron

6. John January 22, 2013 at 10:41 am #

A worthy goal Aaron, no doubt.

I do wonder however what would take the place of these wealthy sponsors. Big Tobacco was compelled to remove sponsorship of major sporting events and the resulting vacuum has been filled by alcohol, fast food and gambling sponsorship. Now there are calls to remove those as well.

• Michael January 22, 2013 at 4:13 pm #

John, there won’t be a vacuum. When government banned tobacco sponsorship it put in place a replacement sponsorship package funded by increases to tobacco taxes. The same approach should be applied to fast food and alcohol sponsorship, which will allow the market to re-adjust – as it did when tobacco sponsorship ended. There are more than enough businesses who would love to associated with sport, but simply cannot compete with the alcohol and junk food industries. The problem today is that Big Alcohol simply outbids all other potential sponsors – aided and abetted by an all-to dollar-focused Big Sport.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Shultzy Says - December 5, 2013

[…] So in January I reached out to Drink Tank, an online forum for Australian’s to enagage in a robust debate about alcohol in Australia. Drink Tank was kind enough to publish a post outlining my concerns. […]

2. Schultzy Says Thanks - December 5, 2013

[…] So in January I reached out to Drink Tank, an online forum for Australian’s to enagage in a robust debate about alcohol in Australia. Drink Tank was kind enough to publish a post outlining my concerns. […]

We need to talk about …. Domestic violence and alcohol

Ingrid Wilson on why we can’t ignore the alcohol-fuelled violence which occurs behind closed doors.

We need more than gimmicks to face up to alcohol and other drugs

Just because ‘there’s an app for that’, doesn’t mean anyone is going to use it. UnitingCare ReGen CEO Laurence Alvis considers what online support services work for young people.

Local councils caught napping on alcohol control

New research reveals that Victorian local government alcohol plans are weak, vague and largely non-existent.

One in ten children harmed by adults’ drinking

New research has found children across the globe are being hurt, abused, exposed to violence, or left unsupervised as a result of another’s drinking.

Your fault you’re fat? I don’t buy it

Dr Alessandro Demaio couldn’t help but notice the amount of alcohol and junkfood advertising throughout both London and Mexico City.

Senator Nash speaks at the AMA National Alcohol Summit

Assistant Health Minister The Hon Fiona Nash says this Government will work with stakeholders to reduce the impact of alcohol related violence and harm.