Calls for Cricket Australia to drop alcohol promotion

A-petition-to-Cricket-AustraliaA-petition-to-Cricket-Australia
Tasmanian father of two, Aaron Schultz says the promotion of alcohol during Cricket broadcasts sends the wrong messages to children.

My name is Aaron Schultz and I am a 41 year old father of two from Tasmania. I grew up in a small country town in Western Victoria where life was pretty simple and everyone knew each other.

Like most teenage boys at the time I discovered alcohol at the age of 14. Drinking was not discouraged by my parents.

Throughout my late teens and into my thirties drinking became a regular habit for me. I had issues with alcohol which I found very difficult to beat, and ultimately took one hell of an effort to overcome.

One of the main reasons I had trouble changing my habits was I found that everywhere I went, alcohol was advertised, especially through sport (which I love), and the culture of playing sport and binge drinking was alive and well.

Sadly nothing has changed over the last 20-odd years, particularly in male dominated disciplines. I believe that change needs to occur to stop the promotion of alcohol through sport as it sends the wrong message to our kids and our communities.

Like their father, my children now love playing and watching cricket, however they are being heavily exposed to products including Victoria Bitter, Wild Turkey and KFC which I think is extremely unethical and irresponsible of the key sporting body, Cricket Australia.

I believe every individual has a right to learn, develop and reach their full potential and by addressing these issues and putting some actions in place we are working towards a healthier, more educated society.

It is my view that my children should be able to watch a professional game of sport without being exposed to the advertising of products which contribute to so many health, economic and social issues in our society.

Sport should be a vehicle to promote healthy lifestyles. I feel that Cricket Australia is doing a tremendous job in the promotion of the game through its 20/20 concept which is targeted towards women and children.

However, they continue to use alcohol and fast food companies as their major sponsors. I am committed to seeing change in this area and my goal is to put a stop to this type of advertising before the 2015 Cricket World Cup which will be held in Australia.

The more people that come on board with me to make this happen, the greater our voice, and our message will be heard loud and clear.

Please join me in my campaign by signing the online petition or liking our Facebook page.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Calls for Cricket Australia to drop alcohol promotion” Subscribe

1. e cigs australia August 7, 2013 at 5:01 am #

Thank you, this is very informative … what is your opinion on the australian government’s current stance against the use of nicotine in electronic cigarettes?

2. Aaron Schultz January 22, 2013 at 5:32 pm #

All great comments guys. Yes betting is another issue all together and it too is out of control. I am focussing on targeting putting a stop to what’s going into people’s mouth’s primarily and sport is not a place for heavy marketing of unhealthy products.
    Thanks
    Aaron

3. Dr Steph January 22, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

Please add betting advertising to this campaign as well. Children are also being exposed to sports betting adverts on TV during G-rated restricted hours during sports such as tennis, rugby union, rugby league and cricket etc. Even the commentators discuss the odds of a bet and make it sound exciting. What hope have our kids got with saturation advert brainwashing about booze and gambling during many sports now?? It disgusts me!

4. Aaron Schultz January 22, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

Thanks very much for your comments.

I am certain there are many organisations that would love the opportunity to partner with Cricket Australia.
    Cricket is a great vehicle for promotion however a partnership between Cricket Australia and alcohol and fast food companies I believe is controversial. We are not going to achieve results in health and well being while sport and these properties are engaged.

Thanks very much for your support.

Aaron

5. John January 22, 2013 at 10:41 am #

A worthy goal Aaron, no doubt.

I do wonder however what would take the place of these wealthy sponsors. Big Tobacco was compelled to remove sponsorship of major sporting events and the resulting vacuum has been filled by alcohol, fast food and gambling sponsorship. Now there are calls to remove those as well.

• Michael January 22, 2013 at 4:13 pm #

John, there won’t be a vacuum. When government banned tobacco sponsorship it put in place a replacement sponsorship package funded by increases to tobacco taxes. The same approach should be applied to fast food and alcohol sponsorship, which will allow the market to re-adjust – as it did when tobacco sponsorship ended. There are more than enough businesses who would love to associated with sport, but simply cannot compete with the alcohol and junk food industries. The problem today is that Big Alcohol simply outbids all other potential sponsors – aided and abetted by an all-to dollar-focused Big Sport.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Shultzy Says - December 5, 2013

[...] So in January I reached out to Drink Tank, an online forum for Australian’s to enagage in a robust debate about alcohol in Australia. Drink Tank was kind enough to publish a post outlining my concerns. [...]

2. Schultzy Says Thanks - December 5, 2013

[...] So in January I reached out to Drink Tank, an online forum for Australian’s to enagage in a robust debate about alcohol in Australia. Drink Tank was kind enough to publish a post outlining my concerns. [...]

Alcohol is the new tobacco

Photo by Michelle Tribe, Flickr Creative Commons

To overcome the problems caused by Australia’s drinking culture, we need to limit supply and increase the cost of alcohol – that means standing up to the liquor lobby, writes Alex Wodak

Fiction on alcohol

Image by Kirandulo Flickr Creative Commons

Professor Ross Fitzgerald asks NSW Premier Barry O’Farrell why the new alcohol laws haven’t been introduced state-wide.

It’s not just the risky drinkers being harmed

FARE Researcher Michele Kosasih explains it’s not just the wowsers who feel unsafe

Like, Comment, Share: Alcohol advertising and Facebook

Get involved with Drink Tank’s first ever forum

Why WA needs to catch up with Secondary Supply laws

You can’t buy alcohol if you’re under 18, yet young people can be supplied alcohol by anyone over 18 on a private premise without parental consent. Sam Menezes explains why this needs to change.

Reflections on the FARE Annual Alcohol Poll

AMA President Dr Steve Hambleton on why we have an obligation to the Australian community to use the intelligence of the Annual Alcohol Poll.